Fylde Coast Gate Company began in Blackpool in the early 1950's, inspired by founder Bert Jenkins and his partners. During the previous decade much ironwork such as gates and railings had been recquisitioned by the nation towards the war effort - and Bert had spotted an opportunity. A small workshop was established at the back of Livingstone Road in Blackpool.
The business soon outgrew the original premises and was moved into an ex-ammunition works on Dover Road, remaining there until 2006.
In 2006 Fylde Coast Gate moved into their new 11,500 square foot modern design and production premises on Amy Johnson Way, near Blackpool Airport.
Managing Director Tony Ball started at Dover Road aged 18 - making the tea, sweeping up and being sent on errands to local suppliers for such items as tins of tartan paint. Tony progressed to site visits, became a Director and finally Managing Director and owner.
Throughout the years staff turnover has been exceptionally low. General Manager Craig Lowe and Deputy Foreman Paul Wainwright have both been at the firm for over 25 years, whilst Shop Floor Foreman John Bairstow has over 15 years under his belt. The company also has 4 ex-apprentices with almost 10 years each on the books.